Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo


Exporting from McMaster University

Our goal is to facilitate efficient delivery from Supplier to Receiver, while maintaining customs compliance for the University.

When exporting goods from Canada, the shipper is responsible for compliance with all of the rules and regulations set by the Government of Canada and Canada Border Services.

It is the responsibility of the exporting department or individual to ensure that any required Export Declarations and/or Export Permits have been obtained prior to exportation.

Expandable List

  • Most countries have similar requirements to Canada for imported shipments. Every shipment must be accounted for with the importing countries customs.
FedEx provides assistance with international shipping.
Contact with any additional questions.

Reporting an export is required in specific situations.  Any shipment subject to an export permit or license requirement must be reported the Canada Border Services Agency prior to export. Shipments valued at $2,000.00 or greater, or where the goods are subject to export controls, require reporting.

Failing to secure export permits prior to exporting or failing to report an export can result in significant penalties. Such penalties can be as high as $25,000 per instance.


Customs and Traffic can help you with your Export:

  • Review the details of the transaction and the type of good(s) being exported to determine the requirements for a permit and or needing to report.
  • Apply on-line for export permits from Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
  • File electronic export reports with the Canada Border Services Agency on your behalf.
  • Advise on the required documents and maintaining record of them for the required duration of 6+ current years.


The shipper must fill out a Commercial or Pro Forma Invoice, and any additional Customs documentation (see below).

Commercial Invoice

A Commercial Invoices is used for items being exported which have been sold.

Pro Forma Invoice

A Pro Forma Invoice is used for items being exported which are provided at no charge, for example research samples.

CERS – Export Declaration

  • Required for Exports to non-U.S. destinations which have a commercial value of $2000.00 CAD or more
  • This will be completed and electronically filed by Customs & Traffic on your behalf.

Export Permit

  • It is the responsibility of the exporting department or individual to ensure that the regulations cited under the Export and Import Permits Acts are met
  • If your items for export are contained on the Canadian Export Control List, you will need to apply for an Export Permit prior to exporting the goods from Canada.
  • A copy of the Export Permit must be provided to the Customs & Traffic department before shipping.

FCC Form 740 for Exports to U.S.

If the export item is a radio frequency device (or emits a frequency) and it is being exported to the USA, a FCC Form 740 must be completed.

  • For instructions on how to fill out the form and a copy of FCC Form 740, please visit the FCC website and scroll down to 740.

FDA Radiation Form FD2877 for Exports to U.S.

Typical examples of devices that require the use of FDA Form FD2877 include but are not limited to:

  • computer monitors
  • computer laser printers
  • television receivers
  • microwave ovens
  • sun lamps
  • cellular telephones
  • most other laser, ultrasonic and x-ray products

For instructions on how to fill out the form and a copy of FDA Form FDA 2877, please visit the FDA website.

  • Social Security Number (SSN) if the item is either sold or shipped to a person in the U.S.

Toxic Substance Control Act Certification (TSCA) for Exports to U.S.

  • For any chemical substances and/or mixtures, you will need this form.
  • For more information, visit the TSCA website.

American Manufactured Goods being sent to the U.S. for repair

Two forms, a Foreign Shippers Declaration and An Importers Declaration Form are required. These will alleviate any taxes/duties from being applied to an item being shipped across the Canadian border for repair.

  1. Complete the Foreign Shippers Declaration
  2. Send the completed Foreign Shippers Declaration and An Importers Declaration Form to the repairing company
  3. The receiving company will complete the Importers Declaration Form
  • We may be able to save the shipper or receiver the duty/tax upon import to another country for repair.
  • A copy of the completed waybill and invoice must be sent to Customs and Traffic.
  • Once the repair is complete proof of export will be required by the CBSA in order for the return shipment to be completed.

If you are exporting equipment/items for repair, please contact Customs and Traffic in advance, with the following information:

  • Value of the equipment/items
  • Where you are exporting to
  • Where each item was manufactured

Who is responsible for customs clearance and duties/taxes at the destination country?

  • Typically, the consignee is responsible, but may vary in some cases
  • The responsible party must be indicated as the ‘Importer of Record‘ on your shipping documents

Is the shipment to the U.S. via ground?

  • for shipments being carried into the U.S. by ground, detailed information must be provided to U.S. customs via the University’s customs broker prior to arrival at the border
  • At least 72 hours’ notice must be provided to Customs and Traffic

Information Box Group